Plymouth Navy Strength Gin is made in the same way as Plymouth Gin with the same combination of botanicals distilled in a copper pot still with neutral grain spirit. It is then bottled at a heavyweight 57% abv (114 proof).
Plymouth Navy Strength is steeped in the tradition of the British Royal Navy who were Plymouth Gin’s biggest customers in the eighteenth century since neighbouring Devonport was a Royal Navy Base. No Navy ship ever left port without Plymouth Gin aboard.
This alcoholic strength is not one you see often and dates from the system of measuring alcohol by percentage proof derived from Royal Navy practice. For many years the lower ratings in the Navy were issued with a daily tot of rum. It was often suspected that the spirit had been watered down and, to test the alcohol, a mixture of gunpowder and rum was placed on deck and lit. If it burnt with a clear blue flame this was ‘proof’ that no water had been added. Failure to light or a smoky flame were sure signs that the spirit had been adulterated. Eventually ‘proof’ became 100 degrees proof, a completely illogical measurement of just over 57% alcohol by volume. Plymouth Gin then supplied the Royal Navy gin at 57% abv because, if it happened to spill on gunpowder at this strength, the powder will still light, a throwback to the days when gin and gunpowder were stored side by side on board ship.
At this higher strength there is a more intense juniper flavour and the fragrant and aromatic botanicals move up several notches. It’s still as smooth as ever though, retaining the soft, slightly sweet character that Plymouth Gin is renowned for.
- UK: Pernod Ricard.
- USA: Absolut Spirits Company Incorporated.
- Spain, Italy, Japan, New Zealand and Australia: Maxxium.
- Nordic countries: Vin & Sprit.
Key UK Off-Trade Outlets
- For a full list of US and European outlets please visit www.plymouthgin.com
Plymouth Gin Cocktails
Plymouth Gin News
- Plymouth Gin Takes to the Skies July 16, 2014
- World Gin Day Coming Up June 4, 2014
- Trolleys out for the Gin Offers December 9, 2013
- Gin Punch, yes really Gin Punch December 6, 2013
- Taking it Sloe October 22, 2013
- Schweppes Heritage Flavours undergo Taste Test October 2, 2013
- Gin in Spain Stays Mainly on the Up July 3, 2013
- Plymouth Distillery – a Unique Place June 10, 2013
- Quality WILL out April 16, 2013
- Ultimate G and T Tasting: Round Three April 8, 2013
- Harry Craddock’s Favourite Gin Cocktails February 5, 2013
- New Look Plymouth Gin now in the UK January 30, 2013
- Plymouth Gin Pays Homage to Harry Craddock January 29, 2013
- Shaken or Stirred? November 21, 2012
- Hendrick’s and You Know who win through.. August 24, 2012
- Gin the English Spirit August 6, 2012
- Gin Cocktails and Food Friends July 23, 2012
- Schhhhh you don’t know who! May 31, 2012
- World Gin Day on 9th June 2012 May 25, 2012
- Our Gins Definitely the Best March 20, 2012
- Plymouth Gin’s New Look US Cocktail Competition March 15, 2012
- Plymouth Gin Ups the Ante January 24, 2012
- The Great Wigtown Gin Face–Off October 3, 2011
- The Plymouth Gin Bartenders’ Breakfast in New Orleans July 28, 2011
- Ginger Rogers June 17, 2011
- Celery Stalker June 17, 2011
- Gin and Tales Launches May 12, 2011
- A Plymouth Martini Made with Knitting Needles – Why Not? February 22, 2011
- Dry Gibson February 11, 2011
- Last Gintime Masterclasses of 2010 November 29, 2010
- Plymouth Gin Martini Sessions @ Graphic Bar November 24, 2010
- Last of the Summer Gin Masterclasses August 24, 2010
- Plymouth Gin Bartenders’ Breakfast August 11, 2010
- Gintime Visits Plymouth Gin April 22, 2010
- Great Review of new Plymouth Gin Tour March 30, 2010
- The Master Distiller’s Private Tour in Plymouth March 19, 2010
- In Search of the Perfect Martini March 8, 2010
- A bit of a late update on Bibulous January 19, 2010
- Plymouth London Cocktail Pilgrimage November 19, 2009
- Plymouth Gin creates BLT in a Glass June 23, 2009
- Beefeater Dry, Beefeater 24 and Plymouth Gear up for Bar 09 May 20, 2009
- Plymouth Larges it at Tales of the Cocktail August 13, 2008
- Maggiore Collins June 23, 2008
- Calling all Plymouth Gin lovers March 21, 2008
- Fire at Plymouth Gin Distillery February 28, 2008
- Ginizin July 10, 2007
- Plymouth Punch July 1, 2007
- Plymouth Gin – The Adventurer January 23, 2007
Plymouth Gin Features
- Gin Punch, yes really Gin Punch
- Taking it Sloe
- Gin in Spain Stays Mainly on the Up
- Plymouth Distillery – a Unique Place
- Harry Craddock’s Favourite Gin Cocktails
- Shaken or Stirred?
- Hendrick’s and You Know who win through..
- Gin the English Spirit
- Gin Cocktails and Food Friends
- Schhhhh you don’t know who!
- Plymouth Gin – The Adventurer